- Authorized strength of 47 which includes 44 sworn officers and three civilian support personnel. Our sister department, the Emergency Communications Center has an authorized strength of 16, including a manager/department head and 15 dispatchers [org chart]
- State of the Art equipment and technology.
- Specialized assignments include Tactical Police Team, Traffic Enforcement Unit, K9 Handler, Motor Unit, Bicycle/Foot Patrol, Drug Investigator and Detective.
- Promotional opportunities include Detective, Sergeant, Lieutenant and Deputy Chief.
- Authorized budget of $6.2 million.
- The City of Fairbanks is located in the heart of Alaska’s Interior on the banks of the Chena River in the Tanana Valley.
- The City has a population of 31,182 residents, and serves as the seat of government for the Fairbanks North Star Borough, which comprises a total population of 87,650.
- First class city with a strong mayor/council form of government.
- Fairbanks serves as the region service and supply center for Interior Alaska, with an economy that is heavily supported by mining, tourism, the University of Alaska, and the military.
- Fairbanks is the home of the Yukon Quest, Top of the World Basketball Tournament, World Ice Art Championships, Tanana Valley State Fair, and Golden Days Celebration. Fairbanks also hosts the Open North American Dog Races, the Midnight Sun Run, the Equinox marathon, the World Eskimo and Indian Olympics, the Festival of Native Arts, the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival and numerous athletic, cultural, and community events. The Alaska Federation of Natives (AFN) Statewide convention is now scheduled to be held in Fairbanks on a rotational basis with Anchorage.