CITY OF FAIRBANKS
800 CUSHMAN ST.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
|How do I know if I have a City of Fairbanks Citation?|
City of Fairbanks uniform citation numbers look similar to the diagram below and can be found in the upper right hand corner of the citation:
FAIRBANKS POLICE No. F 05 _ _ _ _ _
PLAINTIFF: CITY OF FAIRBANKS
City of Fairbanks parking violation numbers look similar to the diagram below and can be found in the upper right hand corner of the violation:
PARKING VIOLATION No. F 2 _ _ _ _ _ _
CITY OF FAIRBANKS
|What if I have a Citation or Violation from another agency?|
Locate the appropriate issuing agency from the list below and call, write, or check the website for additional information.
|Fairbanks Parking Authority||Parking Garage|
201 Lacey Street Fairbanks, AK 99701(907) 451-1912www.fairbanksparking.comAlaska State TroopersRabinowitz Courthouse
101 Lacey Street
Fairbanks, AK 99701(907) 452-9238http://courts.alaska.govUAF Police DepartmentFairbanks Int’l Airport PoliceCity of North PoleFt. Wainwright Military PoliceFederal Building
101 12th Ave, Ste 332
Fairbanks, AK 99701(907) 451-5791www.akd.uscourts.gov/ofc_fbx.htmEielson AFB Military Police
|What if my Uniform Citation provides for an “Optional Appearance”?|
You have three choices under the optional appearance specification:
- Pay the Ticket (paying the citation automatically enters your no contest plea). See additional information on payment options below.
- Contest the Ticket (contesting the ticket will enter your not guilty plea to the alleged offense). Read and complete the back of the uniform citation, remembering to clearly mark the NOT GUILTY box. Sign to indicate your intended plea, provide a good mailing address as this is how you will be notified by the Court of the date and time of your hearing, and return the signed citation to the City of Fairbanks at the address provided. The Alaska Court System will provide notice to you of the trial date and time via mail. If you fail to appear for your trial, you will be found guilty by default, assessed applicable fines and fees, and your case will be referred to a collection agency. For more information about contesting citations, call the Alaska Court System at (907) 452-9238.
|What if my Uniform Citation is designated as “Correctable”?|
- Request a Motion and Order for diversion. If you qualify, you may be allowed to take a defensive driving course, pay the fine and surcharge, and have the ticket dismissed. To qualify: you cannot have a current CDL license designation, you cannot have had any moving violations in the last two years, you cannot have taken a defensive driving course within the last two years, and the violation must be four points or less.
If your uniform citation is correctable, you have an opportunity to correct the defect or show proof that you had insurance at the time the citation was issued. If cited for an equipment violation, present the citation and modified vehicle to the Fairbanks Police Department at 911 Cushman Street and an officer will verify that the defect has been corrected. If the citation is for failure to carry insurance, present proof of coverage to the officer and he/she will correct the citation. Present the corrected citation to the Clerk’s Office at 800 Cushman Street, pay the $25.00 processing fee, and the ticket will be dismissed. If you choose not to correct the defect, simply pay the total amount due at the Clerk’s Office.
|What if my Uniform Citation is designated as a “Mandatory Court Appearance”?|
You must appear in court at the Rabinowitz Courthouse, 101 Lacey Street, on the arraignment date and time indicated on the citation. There are serious consequences for failure to respond to a citation. Should you have questions about your appearance or rights, please contact the Alaska Court System at (907) 452-9238 or visit the State’s website at http://www.alaska.gov/.
|Should I choose to pay the Uniform Citation, what are my payment options?|
- Citations issued by the City of Fairbanks Police Department cannot yet be paid online.
- Pay by telephone by calling the Clerk’s Office, (907) 452-6702.
- Pay by mail. Mail payments to the City of Fairbanks, 800 Cushman Street, Fairbanks, AK 99701. Checks and money orders are accepted, please do not mail cash.
- Drop-off payments. Payments may be dropped off in the secure drop box located just outside the south entrance at City Hall, 800 Cushman Street.
- You may pay in person at the City Clerk’s Office, at the above address. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The City of Fairbanks accepts cash, check, or credit card (MasterCard or VISA).
|What if I can’t pay the Citation by the due date?|
The Clerk’s Office will work with you to establish a reasonable payment arrangement or can provide an extension of time to pay, if contacted prior to the arraignment date indicated on the face of the Citation. If you wish to convert your fine to community service work (CSW), you will have to formally contest the ticket and ask the judge or magistrate to reduce your fine to CSW (see above information on contesting tickets).
|How do the points affect my license and/or insurance?|
Almost all uniform citations have mandatory points assigned in accordance with the schedule established by the State of Alaska. These points are applied against your license once you pay the citation, are found guilty of the offense, or fail to respond to the citation and a default judgment is entered against you. To find out how many points you have or how to reduce the points that have accumulated on your license, visit the State of Alaska, Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website at http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/ or visit the DMV at 1979 Peger Road, Fairbanks, or call (907) 269-5551. The City does not regulate or administer accumulation of points. To determine how point accumulations affect your insurance, you should contact your insurance company directly.