- To prepare and maintain an inventory of buildings and sites of historic, cultural, architectural, geographic and archaeological significance located in the Borough.
- To develop a local historical preservation plan, including but not limited to provisions for the identification, protection and interpretation of the area’s significant resources and provisions for the establishment of historic districts. The plan should be compatible with the State Historic Preservation Plan and produce information about resources that is compatible with the State Heritage Resource Survey.
- To develop and review nominations to the National Register of Historic Places for properties within the Borough.
- To review and make recommendations on local projects, including the alteration of existing structures, new construction, demolition permits, and changes in zoning and platting that might affect properties identified in the local inventory and historic or prehistoric resources that have not been discovered yet.
- To develop a plan for the continuing education of residents of the Borough regarding historic preservation and the history of the Borough.
- To recommend to the Borough Mayor actions within the powers of the Borough which will support the enforcement of this section and the State Historic Preservation Act.
- To report to the Borough Assembly not less frequently than annually on its activities. This report shall be forwarded to the City of Fairbanks.
Four members shall be nominated by the Borough Mayor. Two members shall be residents of the City of Fairbanks and shall be nominated by the Mayor of the City of Fairbanks. One member shall be a resident from the North Pole community and shall be nominated by the Mayor of the City of North Pole. All members shall be confirmed by the Borough Assembly. One member shall, if possible, be an architect or an architectural historian. One member shall, if possible, be an archaeologist. One member shall, if possible, be a historian.
The term of office of members of the Commission on Historic Preservation shall be for three years. Terms of office shall be staggered so that no more than three commissioners’ terms of office expire in any year.
Ordinance No. 5938 - Amending Membership of the Historic Preservation Commission